Monday, January 24, 2011

The Challenge...(numero UNO!)

Sometimes a challenge feels good correction - sometimes completing a challenge feels great! not so good if the challenge doesn't turn out well. Regardless, this Kosama program we do has taught me that even though it's a little painful and exhausting, at the end of the day a good challenge feels rewarding and well worth it! 


With that, my husband and I more so I than both of us decided at lunch today it was a good time for another challenge! In fact - I kind of decided in my head that we should do a new challenge every month, but I'll ease Derek into that part of the plan. Anyway, without further adieu - our challenge...


The Challenge: Eating In To Win!
yes i feel a little "Minute to Win It"...


Length of Contest: 4 weeks 1/25/11 - 2/23/11


Rule #1 We will only eat out for lunches if it can be expensed (a.k.a. work lunches with clients). 


Rule #2 We will only eat dinner out one night per week 
(yikes! this one will by FAR be the hardest for us!!)


Rule #3 Starbucks/coffee/soda runs DO count - so they can't happen! (they add up fast too!)


We came up with this challenge because we realized we were eating out a lot this past fall and we promised each other that "after the wedding" as we said about many things this past fall we would not eat out as much and try to eat more at home to save money and to eat healthier. Plus my husband can't stop talking about "filling up the coffers" have you ever even heard of a coffer? I had not...but now I feel like they are supposed to be my bff. (ugh). He hasn't gone so far as to actually literally get us a coffer to fill up - but if he did...here's what I would have to figure out how to incorporate into my home decor. That would be an entirely different challenge.



coffersplural of cof·fer (Noun)

1. A strongbox or small chest for holding valuables.
2. The funds or financial reserves of a group or institution





We began tonight by adding up the past four weeks purchases at ANY restaurant, coffee house, fast food place or grocery store. (note: we did the past four weeks we were here - we excluded the honeymoon week since we were not here). I wasn't really sure what to expect the total to be - but it was (drum roll please!) $975.24. Do you think this is a lot? I couldn't decide...in my head I thought it would be more when i was estimating, but then realizing this is approximately $250/ week in food, that seems like quite a bit! Our Goal: is to spend $125/ week on food for the next 4 weeks, for a total of $500 and a total savings of $475.24! (helloooo... JAMAICA a little sooner if we can start pulling that off monthly!)


We've been so excited about cooking with all of our new fun tools  that I can't think of a better time to meet this challenge head on.


So here goes nothing! (oh lordy - why am i ALREADY craving Jimmy Johns?! damn...) 


I'd love to hear feedback on what you think of this!!

1 comment:

  1. Please take this as loving wisdom and not criticism. I feed our family of 5 on around $80 a week. That $80 gets me enough groceries to make a nutritionally substantial meal at least 5 nights a week, breakfasts for the kids every day, and lunches for the littles and I. What I'm getting at is that you CAN feed the two of you on $125 a week! If you plan and shop carefully, you could probably even go out to eat once or twice:) Can't wait to hear how it goes. I LOVE a challenge:)

    ReplyDelete