Sunday, August 7, 2011

like it or not... change is inevitable.

I'm typing this post as I'm sitting in my house I bought, looking at my bulldog, and my other bulldog snuggling with my husband. Change is inevitable - I like change - but I also like when things stay the same.  (I swear that make sense in my head). I think it's healthy to have a good mix of both. Two years ago if you told me I was going to have all of things listed above I don't think I would have believed you. In fact - I was so happy I might have done something to try and stop it.


I loved my life, friends and job a LOT when all of the above started coming into my life. I do really think there is something said to being personally settled and happy before you can work the rest in. (I mean it really takes a lot to work in two sleeping bulldogs and a snoring husband!) That has all changed now and thank goodness it did! 


Derek and I had a bonfire last night and it reminded me of my days of working at Camp Tanglefoot, in Clear Lake Iowa as a camp counselor over four years in high school and college. We were required to take the girls on a couple of cook-outs each week (meaning the counselors cooked outdoors rather than heading up to the lodge for grub the cooks had made). One fun way to get the girls involved was to make something with "Pie Irons". 


A Pie Iron looks like this:




I showed off my "camp girl days skills" to Derek and made him dessert over the fire. My masterpiece trick was a little thing we liked to call "Grilled Reeses" - which basically means taking bread, buttering the outside of the pieces and putting peanut butter as well as chocolate chips on the inside. Here's where the Pie Iron comes in - you simply put the sandwich in and toast it over the fire. Derek's only complaint was I didn't make two! 


When we were sitting around the fire though it reminded me of my times at Camp Tanglefoot and how happy I was then. I love knowing even though my camp counselor days are over I still get the chances to relive parts of them and share my stories and campy talents with my husband. 


This morning we went to brunch at my friend Jen and Seth's house. I love having a friend I met the second day of college still in my life. She knows all my stories and I know hers. She is one of the first people I call when things really go wrong or really right! I'm happy things don't change SO much that good friends come and go. 


My business is ever-changing as well. For a while each week I would think, "ok this is the week things will all get in order and things will be normal". It turns out there is no normal in business ownership - change is inevitable. I had an employee start two weeks ago which brings a whole new level of newness, twists and turns to the game. Learning to accept change and roll with the punches has GOT to be one of the most valuable life lessons out there. It seems like the sooner you realize how to do that - the sooner you feel relieved and satisfied with everything.


It's funny how life keeps coming around. Some things change and some things stay the same and some things are a little bit of both. I think that's a very comforting thought. 

3 comments:

  1. I love cooking with pie irons! I'm going to have to try your "grilled reeses" when we go camping this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Golda - how fun you know what they are! I wondered if anybody outside of my "camp" world would! Have you done the pies? Do the bread the same way then stuff them with pie filling instead = delicious! Oh and one more - dip 1 piece of bread in sweetened condensed milk then bake in the pie iron and it will taste JUST like angel food cake...enjoy! and also now i am craving all of the above. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete